1. Prep your child – Before you leave, talk about where you’re going and what you’re going to buy.
2. Make a list – Your list could have words and pictures. Help your child group items under sections such as produce, snacks, etc.
3. Practice parking lot safety – Check for cars while crossing, insist on your child walking right next to you.
4. Choose between cart and basket – Let your child decide based on the length of your shopping list.
5. Push/ carry – Let your child push one end of the cart while you stabalize the other end. If basket is chosen, carry one each.
6. Go over list – Talk about what is available, read labels, and allow choices.
7. Allow problems to happen – Let your child handle dropped items or missing items independently.
8. Let your child group items for bagging – Help your child place items in the bags.
9. Teach him/her how to pay for items – Remind him/her to thank the cashier.
10. Practice safe walking – Teach your child how to maneuver a full cart back to the car.
Leave a Reply